Wow. What a decade this past year has been. As 2020 is now in hindsight, it will live in infamy as one of the most perplexing years of the modern era. With murder hornets, African dust storms blanketing Puerto Rico, and a biblical plague of locusts representing just a small sample, 2020 was the WTF of years. Seriously, contact with aliens would have been too predictable. Since 2020 was such a cornucopia of strange headlines I thought I’d go through the fun horrific exercise of predicting some 2021 social media, digital, tech, and marketing trends that are “so 2020.” Seriously, if any of the following comes true, I’m going to cryogenically freeze myself until 2030.
New Streaming Services Expected:
1. Building off the success of Quibi, new streaming platforms will emerge in 2021. The first of which will be Zoom as it prepares to stay competitive after in-person meetings become a thing again after the pandemic. Expected content series will feature original content including the 30-minute mystery “Oh, Sorry, I Was On Mute.”
Stories Will Become More Popular Than Ever:
2. Microsoft Office will add stories. Whenever you go to do literally anything in Word, Clippy will pop up and force you to watch a video of Bill Gates getting pranked.
3. Goodreads, attempting to get ahead of the stories curve, will add a new feature called “Novels” with a minimum video length requirement of four hours.
Competition Between Major Social Networks Heats Up:
4. MySpace will make a comeback.
5. Continuing to follow the notorious trend of building copies of the competition (Stories, Reels, etc.), Zuckerberg will announce a new platform to compete with the increased popularity of Parler (RIP). On this platform users will be able to say whatever weird, untrue nonsense they want without fear of it being taken down. The new platform will be called Facebook.
Let’s hope I’m wrong with these items above. That said, if you’re looking for some more authentic advice on how to navigate social media marketing in 2021, check out our social media predictions for 2021 that aren’t “so 2020.”
Before you leave, keep yourself up to speed on the latest trends and news in the social media space by subscribing to our bi-weekly newsletter below.
Subscribe to Social You Should Know
The post Five 2021 Social Media Predictions That are “So 2020” appeared first on Ignite Social Media Agency.
Read more: ignitesocialmedia.com